Know More About Garage Door Insulation
Garage door insulation may be of different types i.e. warmer, cooler and quieter. There are many types and materials that can be used. We collected some important information about it here. Please read and make your own conclusion what to choose for your needs.
The types of insulation techniques that are popular are as follows:
• Batt Insulation: This offers good amount of flexibility and is made of fiberglass. It has a layer of paper or foil which does the work of an air barrier. The values of insulation are R-3 to R-4 per inch of thickness. Per foot cost of this insulation is 30 cents.
• Foam Board Insulation: Panels made of polyester provide a great deal of cushioning for the kind of thickness it possesses. The thickness ranges from half an inch to a maximum of 1 inch. The corresponding R values range from R 3.3 to R 6.5. The foam board is constructed with aluminum or vinyl.
• Reflective Insulation: Boards and rolls wrapped with aluminum foil are applied to both sides of the insulation materials. This type of insulation helps to reflect the radiant heat making it a good choice during summers. The R value ranges from 3.5 to 6 .
The main aim is to match the insulation with your garage door. The different types of insulation for different garage doors are as follows:
• Steel Garage Doors: These doors can be fitted with any type of insulation. You need to stick the insulation around the panels of the doors and let the fiber glass touch the door. You can squeeze cut the foam to fit it in the panel.
• Wood Frame and Panel Doors: The insulation has to be curved out to be fitted into the recesses between the door frames. If controlling climate is a worry, then you need to install two layers of foam board.
• Flat Garage Doors: Reflective insulation is the one that suits this kind of garage doors since it does not contain panels. The insulation needs to be taped to the garage door.